- 67% of the population in PEI live in a municipality within 30% of the land area.
- 33% of the population don't live in a municipality that covers 70% of the land area.
The map shown is a map of PEI, the coloured areas are municipal governments while the white area represents unincorporated or non-municipal government area.
Benefits of Living in a Municipality
The municipal governing structure of elected officials and professional staff provides organized, transparent, and accountable leadership.
- Democratically elected representatives making decisions in the best interest of residents in the area.
- Quality services to the area
- Development and infrastructure
- Potentially greater availability of funding
- Professional administration with a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO)
- Organized local initiatives for economic and social development
- Engagement of residents to provide for their needs
- Bylaws to govern the municipality